Do It Yourself – Website Tutorials
🧭 Let’s make your own compass easily!
1. Begin by magnetizing your sewing needle – rub one end of the needle with the “north” pole of your magnet 50 times. Using a red Sharpie to color this end of the needle.
2. Repeat step one, rubbing the “south” pole of your magnet against the opposite (not-yet magnetized) end of the sewing needle.
3. Using a pair of scissors, cut a circle about 1″ (2.5 cm) in diameter out of the wax paper.
4. Carefully thread the needle through the wax paper circle, as you would a needle into cloth. Don’t run the needle all the way through, but leave the needle half-way through the wax paper with the needle lying flat on the surface of the wax paper.
5. Float the wax paper on the surface of the water so that the ends of the needle are on top of the wax paper.
6. While the needle and paper float on the surface of the water, watch what happens. The needle will rotate on the surface of the water. The red end of the needle, the end you magnetized with the “north” pole of the magnet, will point north!
Do you want to learn how to make these science projects at home?
Download Twin app for FREE: https://app.adjust.com/ho4dsvd
Join our discord channel: https://discord.gg/adP73RzM
📲What is Twin app?
• Best kids game app with STEM subjects!
• 400+ Science Challenges, Trivia, Adventures
• 15 Skills & 45 Expertise Areas
• Safe & Full Moderated
• Opportunity to Buy real toys, giftcards, robux
• FREE to Play
👋 Let’s get social:
#scienceexperimentsforkids #compassexperiments #makeyourowncompassexperiments