Do It Yourself – Website Tutorials
Build a simple electric motor with just a battery, magnet, paper clips, and coil of wire in this fun science experiment! Written instructions are available on the Science Buddies website:
Not sure where to get the materials? Here’s what you need (note: these are affiliate links. All proceeds help support Science Buddies, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and help us keep our resources free for everyone):
– Small neodymium magnets, approximately 1/4″ or 6mm in diameter: https://amzn.to/2Wytg6n
– Enamel-coated magnet wire (exact gauge is not critical): https://amzn.to/2EJfEuW
– D batteries: https://amzn.to/2QBL1wb
– Jumbo metal paper clips (not plastic coated): https://amzn.to/30WO5Yj
– Electrical tape (other types of tape will work): https://amzn.to/2W1FwYw
– Fine-grit sandpaper: https://amzn.to/2QxCpqq
Note: there is a small typo at 0:40 in the video. That should be 3 *cm* (centimeters) of wire, not m (meters)!
Science Buddies also hosts a library of instructions for over 1,000 other hands-on science projects, lesson plans, and fun activities for K-12 parents, students, and teachers! Visit us at http://www.sciencebuddies.org?from=YouTube to learn more.
Connect with Science Buddies: